Sunday, October 18, 2015

Maybe it's just me...

So I just finished reading Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella and I loved it! So much so that I decided to look up the other books in the series (that and I wanted a picture of the book for Instagram, don't ask me why, i'm weird like that), and in doing so, I found Shopaholic Ties The Knot about the main character getting married (spoiler alert). In the synopsis it states that Rebecca Bloomwood, the main character, is faced with the dilemma of where to have her wedding. More specifically, she finds herself torn between having a glossy wedding (her words, not mine) at the Plaza Hotel in New York and having a wedding at her childhood home. Is this a common problem? I ask because another book series (Chocolate for Two by Maria Murnane)uses the same story line and it makes me wonder, exactly how many women are having more than one wedding? When I got married we did it one time, and we didn't even live in the same state as the majority of our guests. We lived in CA at the time but we're from NY. Our family lives in NY. Most of our friends live in NY. So we flew to NY and got married. It never even occurred to me to have more than one wedding (planning one what quite enough, thank you very much!) Now, granted, in both stories the reason for the conflict is because the mothers (of the bride and groom) wanted different weddings and in my case, my husband's mother didn't even come to our wedding (which should have been a red flag of some sort) and I don't remember my mother having much of an opinion about where and what kind of wedding I had. This 'have multiple weddings to try and please everyone' nonsense sounds like it was created by the wedding industry to get us to spend even more than we already do on weddings. Couldn't you just imagine the AD campaign; Why have one special day when you could have two! David's Bridal and the rest of the bridal shops would start pushing the Second Destination dress...for the wedding you want after you have the wedding they want! (insert eye roll here). And bakeries would go crazy, offering a cake for each theme...for the completely reasonable price of $50,000. Each. Ugh! I'm exhausted just thinking about it! If this 'have a whole other wedding thing so no one gets their feeling hurt' is actually a thing, here's my advice people: have the wedding you want and only the wedding you want. After all, you're going to be stuck with that idiot the rest of your life, might as well get a hell of a party out of the deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment