Saturday, February 2, 2019

Why Can't You Turn Your Diagnosis Into a Compulsion....Like Normal People!

I don't know what I should say about this since I know some people who read this blog know my family (if you read corner of the sky, you can see why this causes a bit of apprehension...) but, for the sake of making a point, here goes: I am (according to the states of California and New York) Bipolar. Now, though it has no bearing on the story, I feel the need to point out that I have bipolar 2, which is apparently the milder version.

Anyway, my sister and I were talking with my mom last weekend about emotional issues (my sister has terrible panic attacks).

Apparently my mom doesn't believe in mental illness, or, at least, she doesn't believe in conventional methods of dealing with them. As we were talking she says to us "we didn't have mental illness in the 70s."

Wait, what?! You didn't have mental...huh? Ky (my sister's name is Kylie, if I haven't mentioned it before) pointed out that, yes, in fact, mental illness did exist in the 70s and earlier, it just wasn't talked about. Yeah my mother said, we turned our mental issues into compulsions, like normal people, why can't you do that??

Um........

No comments:

Post a Comment