Sunday, July 17, 2022

Peter and the Red Shoes

Once Upon A Time, in a land far, far away I came upon a pair of magical red shoes. The name of the far away land is called Chinatown and the shoes are vibrant beautiful but hardly magical (as far as I know). But a little boy named Peter in Briarcliff Manor might be. Peter is two years old and recently learned that everyone wears underwear (as opposed to just him, the result of potty training) but somehow he knows of the existance of the red shoes. Two weeks ago, when he got to school Peter did what he always does, ask me to read to him as I began to do so. The story had barely started when Peter asked "Where are your red shoes?" I told him they were at home but wondered how he knew I had red shoes in the first place. On Tuesday he asked the same thing, only he added "I miss your red shoes." Mind you, I have never worn the shoes to work, in fact, I forgot they existed. Yet, Peter missed them. Huh? By Wednesday I was at my wits end (and maybe a tiny bit creeped out). When Peter asked again for my red shoes I promised him I would wear them the next day. But the question remained HOW DOES THIS CHILD KNOW I HAVE RED SHOES??????? Peter and I arrived at school at the same time Thursday morning. As promised, I wore my red shoes. Peter was thrilled, exclaiming "Yea, finally, your red shoes!" His father raised his eyebrows. I responded in kind and explained the exchange his youngest son and I had been having. "Why Pete?" his dad asked. Peter just laughed and ran ahead of us. Why indeed. ::Shrug:: I guess how Peter knew I had red shoes or why he cared is a mystery for Sherlock Holmes...or the X-Files.

No comments:

Post a Comment